Judy has issued the 2012 UFO Challenge…and I’m going to play. I love the challenges because they force me to get off my duff and get things done. I like to think I would’ve completed more for 2011 if I hadn’t had the arm/hip issues which kept me off the quilting machine and pretty much out of the sewing room for a good part of the year.
I have between 40-45 UFOs, but these are some of my oldest.
1. ~ 8 Point Stars ~ I think it still needs 6 blocks, a border, and to be quilted. It was started in 1982 or83.
2. ~ Sampler blocks – Probably the second oldest. Machine pieced, but I made this set in Saudi Arabia (1995) . These were for a quilting class we were teaching. I assembled part of the top in 2011, but need to finish sashing, then get the quilting done.
3. ~ For the Love of Purple – This is totally scrappy from my scrap bins. Uses 2.5″ squares and 2.5″ x 4.5″ purple, teal and blue rectangles. I started this one in El Paso about 2002. Need to add borders, quilt and bind. I found a lovely purple for borders in one of my fabric bins. I think this will make a lovely baby quilt.
4. ~ Delft Blues – My wonderful friend, “BAD” Anita, sent a stack of gorgeous blue fabrics from a European quilt show she attended. I’ve finally “found” the bag of blues. I misplaced the bags in a room reorganization frenzy. This was originally destined to be a wall hanging, but I think it’s going to become a tote when it grows up!!! Would make a lovely gift for DML’s walker.
5. ~ Patriotic Katz – leftover blocks from a TQP Sophistikats swap…about 2001-2003. Need to set the blocks, border, quilt and bind.
6. ~ Windmills in My Eyes – I’ll need to make about 15 additional blocks, quilt and bind. I just love this pattern. So simple to make and looks stunning when completed. This one will probably be a charity quilt.
7. ~ 9 Patch Star Gazers – These 6,5″ blocks were made from the scrap bins. The 9 patches are made. I want to add star points and borders.
8. ~ Poinsetta Table Topper -52″ square and about 3 years old…need to quilt and bind. What’s funny about this table topper is that I made 2….the first one was a gift for a friend and was about 20″ square. I finished her top first, she wanted to hand quilt it herself. Done. She’s had hers on the table each year and mine is hanging on a hanger in the closet.
9. & 10. ~ Christmas Disappearing 9 Patch child sized quilts. These will be charity quilts and probably be sent somewhere local as most places don’t want Christmas quilts.
11. ~ Prairie Houses – this is a large (probably Queen Size +) that I’ve had for about 8 years. The blocks are from the 40’s and 50’s…about time the quilt was finished!12. ~ Jungle Baby – Baby Quilt for our first Great GrandSON. Blocks are pieced. Need borders, to be quilted, labled and bound.
I have so many more UFOs…wouldn’t it be great to finish these plus more!
Praying my health holds up to allow me to complete these! By completing these, I’ll be using fabrics from the stash so I’ll kill 2 birds with each project :-)