Stashbusting Report

A little more productivity this week due to finishing blocks and working on the UGLY fabric challenge issued by Ann of the Sunshine Online Quilt Guild (link in previous post).

I’ve cut fabric and completed 10 more “Disappearing 9 Patch x 2” blocks, put the rows together for the last two “When Blocks Collide” tops (counted several weeks ago). 

I completed 2 UGLY quilt tops (previous post) and cut bindings.   The little FW has definitely been humming.   I’m pumped and ready to sew.  This is when I eat, sleep and dream quilts!  The 5″ square scrap box is calling me, but I need to finish what I’ve already started before I tackle more.

  •  Yardage purchased this week –0 yds
  •  Yardage used this week   7.25  yds
  •  Year to date purchased – 19.25 yds
  •  Year to date used (goal 300 yds) – 200.50 yds
  •  UFOs (goal 12) –  4
  •  Charity quilt tops made – ytd (goal 20) –  6   8
  • Charity quilts completed – ytd (goal 20) –  24

The numbers are getting better and the open bookcase of fabric is getting roomier.  That’s a good thing!  Maybe soon I will have enough open room to refold and organize the stash.   I’m thinking I might actually stand a chance of meeting this year’s goals.  I still need to do some serious work on the UFO pile, but everything else is right on track. 

Susan ~ Patchkat

Advertisements

The UGLY Fabric Challenge

Remember I mentioned Ann from the Sunshine Online Quilt Guild and her UGLY fabric challenge…well.  I’m done!  She sent me a FQ of a ditzy floral, dull cream background fabric.  The fabric has grey, pink and a cranberry floral with pineapples and birds.   It IS ugly in an 80’s way.  Nothing bright or catchy about it.  Anyhow,  here are my blocks.  I set mine into 2 quilt tops which I will send to Ann this coming week.  I had enough scraps for 1 orphan block which I will also mail.  

Sunshine has been around for about 15 years and sends quilts around the World with the Rotarians “Smile” program (cleft palate surgeries in impoverished areas) and with “Wrap Them in Love” for children in need.   I’ve been part of this great group since 1999 and love making quilts for children.   It’s been several years since I’ve been able to actively participate so it’s time to kick the production up! 

       UGLY Challenge #1

Crumb piecing seemed the best idea.  I cut the FQ of UGLY into little tumbler shapes for the center of each block.  I’m real happy with the blocks except for the solid pink fabric.  It’s a shade or two too bright.  Still…it works.  

The quilt top measures 41″ x 53″.

                                               

 

 

UGLY Challenge #2

The second quilt top is also 41″ x 53″ and has those same crumb pieced blocks and 4 rail fence blocks for the corners.  The lightest strip is the UGLY fabric.   The teals and cranberries are brighter than the photo shows.

With the scraps, I made 1 last block which Ann can use sampler style with all the other blocks she’s receiving from her UGLY fabric.   You can click on the photos to enlarge them.  The colors show up better here.  The lightest floral is the UGLY.  I think the fabric worked up nicely and it enabled me to bust more stash!

I’ll post my stash report in the morning!  Need to finish figuring out exactly what I’ve used this week.

Susan ~ Patchkat